The original St Joseph's School, staffed by the Sisters of St Joseph, opened in Mount Isa in 1932.
After humble beginnings the school became well established in Railway Avenue and provided quality primary education until 1984.
In 1985, St Joseph's School moved to its present site on Twenty-Third Avenue. These buildings were previously San Jose College - a Secondary School for girls established in 1964, under the administration of the Sisters of St. Joseph.
Since the establishment of the present St Joseph's School, the association with the Sisters of St Joseph continued with the Principal being a Josephite, until 1999 when the first lay principal was appointed.
St Joseph's Catholic Primary School has the traditions, values, policies, and high standards of two fine schools in its historical background and is steeped in the spirituality of St Mary of the Cross MacKillop, the first Sister of St Joseph.
St Joseph's is a two strand co-educational Catholic Primary School catering for students from Prep to Year 6. St Joseph's belongs to Good Shepherd Parish and operates as part of the Catholic Education System in the Diocese of Townsville.